Can Microcystis spp. blooms be used in animal feeds?

A recent paper by Chen et al. published in Science of the Total Environment reviews the challenges of using blooms of Microcystis spp. in animal feeds.

Highlights (from the paper):

  • Microcystis causes toxicity to mollusks, crustaceans, fish, amphibians, mammals and birds.
  • Microcystis induces toxicity in liver, kidney, intestine, spleen and other organs.
  • Fish fed Microcystis may be not safe for consumption for humans.
  • Microbial pathogens may be present in cyanobacterial blooms.

Reference:

Liang Chen, John P. Giesy, Ondrej Adamovsky, Zorica SvirĨev, Jussi Meriluoto, Geoffrey A. Codd, Biljana Mijovic, Ting Shi, Xun Tuo, Shang-Chun Li, Bao-Zhu Pan, Jun Chen, Ping Xie.
Challenges of using blooms of Microcystis spp. in animal feeds: A comprehensive review of nutritional, toxicological and microbial health evaluation. Science of The Total Environment, Volume 764, 2021, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.142319